If you’re serious about getting into shape, there’s nothing better than having your own home gym. One downside of this can be finding the space to house your exercise equipment. This will not be an issue with the Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells Set.
With the two dumbbells in the set measuring 15 3/4″ x 8″ x 9″ fully loaded, even if you don’t have a lot of space to spare, finding a spot that will accommodate them should not be a problem.
The weight range in this set caters to a broad spectrum of people, providing variation and the potential for growth. Changing the weight is a quick, safe, and simple process, making for comfortable and convenient workouts.
With reviews from well over 2,000 purchasers published on Amazon alone, this durable, top quality dumbbell set has a lot of awesome feedback.
* Some purchasers submitted negative comments regarding the system’s plastic pins having snapped. This feedback is old and the plastic pins were replaced in an upgrade years ago. The magnetic pins used now are durable and resilient, providing an exceptionally safe workout. Subsequent reviews reflect user satisfaction with the upgraded and far superior Bowflex 552.
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells Overview
- Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbell Stand
- Video Review of Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Who are Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells For?
- What Muscles can I target with the Bowflex 552?
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Inclusions
- What I like most about Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
- Closing Words on the Bowflex 552
- Click here to buy Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells on Amazon
- To get the SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells and stand from Amazon, click here
- Click here to view just the dumbbell stand with media tray on Amazon
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells Overview
Manufactured by Bowflex, a company renowned for quality fitness equipment, the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells set could arguably be the best Bowflex offering of all, and it is certainly one of the most versatile.
With just one pair of these adjustable dumbbells, the weight of which can instantly be changed by turning a dial, you will have at your disposable a pair of weights that can be as light as 2lbs or as heavy as 52 1/2lbs, with many options in between. From 2 pounds to 25 pounds the weight can be adjusted in increments of 2 1/2lbs, and from 25 to 52 1/2 pounds it can be adjusted in 5lb increments.
Coming in a cradle which neatly stores all of the dumbbells when they’re not being used, spin the dial to select the desired weight and when the dumbbells are lifted from the cradle any extra weight you’ve added will be in place and ready to go. This is a very smooth, quiet and easy process.
An audible click will let you know that the dumbbell you’ve added is in position and that it is safe to lift and use. If you don’t hear the click, the weight is not correctly attached, and you won’t be able to remove it from the cradle. Having said that, the system is virtually foolproof, so your desired weight will usually lift the first and every time.
Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbell Stand
After lifting your chosen dumbbells from the cradle, the others will remain stored in their designated spot until you want to incorporate them into your workout. When not in use, your Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells can either be left on the floor or stored elevated on a stand, allowing easier access.
While by no means a necessity, the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbell Stand eliminates the need for you to bend to pick up the weights. With its sleek, super-cool design and handy towel rail, it is not only convenient; it looks great too.
Strong and secure but quite compact, the stand comes with a good warranty. Its overall dimensions are 22.8″ by x 19.9″ by x 26.2″. Some assembly is required. The instructions for this are clear, and it’s a very straightforward process.
There’s also a Teflon grip stand which has a large media rack suitable for holding a tablet or similar device. Weighing 30lbs, it is compact and easy to assemble. It comes with a 10-year warranty on the frame and 1-year warranty on the media rack.
NB If you decide not to buy a stand, to avoid straining your back be sure to bend your knees when accessing the weights, rather than bend forward from the waist.
Video Review of Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
Who are Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells For?
With a minimum of 33 different exercises, over 80 variations of these and 15 different weight settings to choose from, Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells are suitable for everyone from new to intermediate, to more advanced level male or female weightlifters. Their versatility and ease-of-use make this set very convenient to own. It also allows the exerciser to progress to heavier weights as they become stronger and desire a more challenging workout. Along with saving space, not having to buy 15 different pairs of weights, amounts to quite a money saving.
Perfect for home fitness programs that require the use of weights, Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells team up very well with the P90X DVD Workout.
What Muscles can I target with the Bowflex 552?
Unlike some exercise equipment, Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells can provide you with a total body workout. Below are some exercises that can be performed with the weights, along with the main muscles targeted.
*Please note that many of the exercises will target a wider range of muscles than those listed. For example, arm exercises that focus on the biceps will work a variety of upper and forearm muscles and each exercise will work the muscles differently.
- Wide Squats – quads and adductors (inner thighs)
- Stationary Lunges – glutes, hamstrings, and quads
- Reverse Lunges – glutes and hamstrings
- Side Lunges – glutes, quads, and adductors
- Stiff-Leg Dead Lifts – hamstrings and glutes
- Calf Raises – entire back of calf
- Overhead Triceps Extension – triceps
- Triceps Kickback – triceps
- Lying Triceps Extension – triceps
- Standing Curls – biceps
- Concentration Curls – biceps
- Incline Bench Curls – biceps
- Scott Curls – biceps
- Hammer Curls – biceps
- Ab Crunch – abs (lower abdomen) and obliques (sides of abs and waist)
- Reverse Crunch – abs and obliques
- Twisting Side Crunch – obliques
- Lying Trunk Rotation – abs and obliques
- Lying Leg Raise – core and hips
- Alternating Rows – middle back
- Wide Rows – lats (upper back)
- Dead Lifts – lower back
- Standing Shoulder Press – anterior deltoids (fronts of shoulders)
- Lateral Raises – lateral deltoids (sides of shoulders)
- Seated Overhead Press – anterior and medial deltoids (outside of shoulders)
- Front Raise – anterior deltoid
- Rear Delt Row – posterior deltoid (rear of the shoulder)
- Shrugs – trapezius (area between the neck and shoulders)
- Flat Chest Press – pectorals (front of chest wall/under breast in women)
- Incline Chest Press – upper pectorals
- Incline Flyes – upper pectorals
- Flat Flyes – pectorals
- Decline Chest Press – pectorals
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Inclusions
Included with the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells set is an owner manual and the Bowflex® SelectTech® workout DVD, which is entitled “Secrets of the 4 Step Rep”. Showing all of the exercises listed above, plus variations, the DVD will help you achieve the best result from your workouts.
If you want to start exercising right away and you don’t have time to watch the DVD, check out this laminated exercise wall poster on Amazon.
What I like most about Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells
The thing I like most about Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells is that they enable me to exercise my chest, shoulders, arms, back, legs, and abs efficiently and optimally.
With such a wide variety of weights on hand, I can step up my workouts at any time without the hassle of repeatedly going to a sports store to buy a heavier pair of weights as I progress, or ordering online then having to wait for them to arrive before I can use them. Having the required weights on hand also means that there are no excuses to skip workouts. This really helps to keep me on track.
I like how compact the set is and how the dumbbells’ easy-turn dial makes selecting the weight I want to use effortless. Being able to move quickly from one exercise to the next, without having to stop and change weights manually, saves time. I can add or subtract weight as I go, simply by placing the dumbbells I’m using onto the cradle and turning the weight dial to select the dumbbells I want to use next. With some parts of the body responding better to lighter weights and some heavier, this feature is a real time-saver.
I also appreciate that there is very little noise when adding or subtracting weights, as it means I can train without disturbing my housemates.
Closing Words on the Bowflex 552
As I’m sure you can tell I love this dumbbell set and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to drop some weight and improve their shape.
Coming with a 2-year limited Bowflex warranty on the parts and weight plates and a 1-year warranty on labor, if you’re in the market for a set of weights, it would be hard to find better than Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells.