Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 is a 30-day exercise program fronted by former Biggest Loser fitness trainer, Jillian Michaels. Released several years ago, it has a lot of excellent feedback from purchasers who have successfully undertaken it to lose weight, lower their body fat percentage and sculpt their muscles.
Suitable for intermediate to advanced level exercisers who are looking for an intense workout, new exercisers can follow the trainer who does the easier version, and those who already fit can follow the advanced trainer to increase the intensity further.
Consisting of four workouts, each of which is done for a week, these become progressively more challenging. The workouts are done 5 to 6 times a week for a week, giving you 1 or 2 exercise-free days.
In this Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD review, we will look at a general overview of the program, its pros, its cons, the exercises you will be doing and the fitness tools you will need to get the most from your sessions.
*Due to the high-impact nature of some of the cardio exercises in this program, anyone who suffers from joint problems should follow along with the modifier or consider doing a lower-impact workout, such as Jillian’s 90 Day Body Revolution.
Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Overview
The Ripped in 30 workouts follow Jillian’s signature 3-2-1 format, this being 3 minutes of strength training, followed by 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work. Each workout is approximately 35 minutes long, including a Warm-Up and a Cool-Down. The purpose of the Warm-Up is to begin elevating your heart rate while gently elongating and warming your muscles, to help prevent injury. The Cool-Downs consist of stretches, designed to release any tightness caused by the moves.
The strength training segments repeat three exercises twice, with each done for 30 seconds. The moves target multiple muscle groups, with hand weights incorporated into those that focus on the lower body. The cardio segments consist of 30 seconds of two different movements, done twice. The abs segments comprise two different exercises.
No two sessions throughout the program are alike. This keeps things fresh and interesting. It also means that if you dislike a particular exercise, you will know that after finishing the segment you won’t have to do it again. All of the moves are clearly demonstrated, and there’s a lot of emphasis on the importance of doing them with correct form.
What Extra Fitness Tools Will I Need?
To get the most from Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, you will need two sets of hand weights. The weights you choose will depend on your current fitness level and your degree of upper body strength. As a guide, start with one set that weighs between 2 and 5 pounds, and another weighing between 6 and 10 pounds. A yoga mat is also a good idea, as it will provide cushioning when you do the floor exercises.
How Much Free Space Will I Need?
If you have enough free space to lie down and fully extend your arms and legs, you’ll be ready to start.
Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Meal Plan
For even better results, combine the workouts with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Meal Plan, which is downloadable from Jillian’s website.
The meal plan consists of 10 options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus snacks. The meals contain around 400 calories each, and the snacks 200. All can be mixed and matched, or you can eat the same foods every day. There are also options for vegans and vegetarians. A few of the lunch and dinner recipes require cooking.
Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD Video Trailer
Ripped in 30 Workouts
Next, we will look at the Warm-Ups, circuits, cardio and ab exercises in the individual Ripped in 30 workouts. Each consists of a Warm-Up, 3 strength training circuits, 3 cardio segments, 3 ab workouts, and a Cool-Down.
Ripped in 30 Week 1
- Warm-Up – Swinging Arms, Military Marches, I-Squats, Halo Dips, and Half-Squat Knee Grabs, finishing with a repeat of Swinging Arms.
- Circuit 1 (strength) – Circuit 1 comprises Toning Push-Ups, Squat Presses, Lunges with Double Arms and Lunges with Right Leg, followed by Toning Push-Ups, Squat Presses and Lunges with Double Arms, and Lunges with Left Leg.
- Cardio – Fast Feet and Skaters. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Planks and Hollow Man.
- Circuit 2 (strength) – Circuit 2 consists of Stiff-Leg Deadlifts with Upright Rows, Squat Swings, and Good Mornings. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Running Man and Squat Punches. Repeat Sequence.
- Abs – Side Plank Crunches (right side), followed by Side Plank Crunches (left side).
- Circuit 3 (strength) – Chair Poses with Reverse Flys, Side Lunges with Front Raise, and Front Lunges with Bicep Curls. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Butt Kicks, Single Leg Hops (right leg), followed by Butt Kicks and Single Leg Hops (left leg).
- Abs – Crunches, Reverse Crunches with Crunch. Repeat sequence.
- Cool-Down – Stretches.
Ripped in 30 Week 2
- Warm-Up – Backward Arm Circles, Toe Taps, Alternating Hugs, followed by Shoulder to Knee Stretches, Alternating Squats with Rotations and more Toe Taps
- Circuit 1 (strength) – Standing Lunges with Rows (to the right), Pendulum Lunges (left leg) with Pelvic Thrusts, Static Lunges with Rows (to the left), Pendulum Lunges with serving Biceps, ending with Chest Presses with Pelvic Thrusts (right leg).
- Cardio – Plank Jacks and Mountain Climbers. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Arm to Leg Crunches (right arm to left leg), followed by Arm to Leg Crunches (left arm to right leg).
- Circuit 2 (strength) – Side Lunges with Leg Raises, Transition Ab Hold into Table Top (left side), Crow Push-Ups, Side Lunges with Leg Raises, Transition Ab Holds into Table Top (right side), ending with more Crow Push-Ups.
- Cardio – Jump Rope Kick Outs and Squat Thrusts. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Ab Rolls (V-Ups), Leg Raises and Crawl-Ups (left leg), followed by more Ab Rolls, finishing with Leg Raises and Crawl-Ups (right leg).
- Circuit 3 (strength) – Sumo Squats with Tricep Extensions, Stork Stance with Low Rows, and Renegade Rows. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Jab Crosses/High Low and High Knees. Repeat Sequence.
- Abs – Sit-Ups with Leg Extensions, and Crunches with Leg Raises.
- Cool-Down – Stretches
Ripped in 30 Week 3
- Warm-Up – Sledge Hammers, Standing Split Stretches and Static Lunges with Torso Rotations. Repeat sequence.
- Circuit 1 (strength) – Knee-Up Crawls, Duck Walk, and Wide Low Rows. Repeat Sequence.
- Cardio – Squat Jacks, and Skiers (twist center). Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Twisting Planks, and Straight Leg Squat Thrusters. Repeat sequence.
- Circuit 2 (strength) – Stork Stance with Flys, Single Leg Squats with Cork Screw Curls, and Rock n Roll Squats with Reverse Crunches. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Squat Jumps and Running Stance. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Vertical Leg-Up Crunches and Cross Body Crunches.
- Circuit 3 – Pike Push-Ups, Single Arm Left Side Push-Ups, and Elevated Leg Dips. This is followed by more Pike Push-Ups, Single Arm Right Side Push-Ups, concluding with more Elevated Leg Dips.
- Cardio (strength) – Jumping Lunges, Single Leg Cross Hops (right side), Jumping lunges, and Single Leg Cross Hops (left side).
- Abs – Ab Holds and Pike Crunches.
- Cool-Down – Stretches.
Ripped in 30 Week 4
- Warm-Up – Opposite Leg Swings, Side Lunge Stretches, Standing Side Crunches. Repeat sequence.
- Circuit 1 (strength) – Alternate Crescent Pose, Static Squat Presses, Static Squat Rows. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Plie Hops, and Jumping Jacks with Front Kicks. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Downward Dog (bringing left, then right knee to chest), and Plank Walks.
- Circuit 2 (strength) – Superman with Shoulder Presses, Crossover Lunges with Bicep Curls. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Burpees with Jump Hops and Scissor Hops. Repeat Sequence.
- Abs – Window Washers, and V Sit-Ups.
- Circuit 3 (strength) – Single Leg Bridges with Chest Flys, Chaturanga Push-Ups, and Walking in Place Planks. Repeat sequence.
- Cardio – Side Center Plank Jumps, and Double Jump Rope. Repeat sequence.
- Abs – Sit-Up to Toes (back down, then legs up), and Crunches. Repeat sequence.
- Cool-Down – Stretches.
Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Summary
With feedback from over 1,700 purchasers of the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD on Amazon alone so far, it has a very impressive average star rating.
Jillian has claimed this workout to be her toughest ever, and if you’re up for a challenge, this program will not disappoint. Combine it with the recommended diet, and you will be able to completely transform your shape for the better in just 30 days.