When Step Fitness & Recreation Inc. invented the Step Original Health Club Step back in 1989, it took the fitness world by storm.
In the intervening thirty years, many fitness companies have jumped onto the bandwagon, creating versions of the step, but the Original Club Step remains a firm favorite with aerobics enthusiasts.
It is also the preferred fitness step in health clubs all over the country, and beyond.
In this review, we will look at the merits and uses of the American-made Step Original Health Club Step to help you decide if it will be right for you.
Why Get the Step Original Health Club Step?
With the broad range of equipment and classes they offer, gyms provide people with a great way of getting into shape and improving their fitness. While there’s no denying this is the case, not all of us want the expense of joining a health club. Nor the inconvenience of traveling to it, then traveling back home again, for that matter.
We might have to alter our schedule to be able to take the class we want to do. People who are very unfit may feel intimidated at the thought of working out in public. Then there are those of us who are just not into group exercise. Whatever the reason, you may have wondered if it’s possible to experience the benefits of a step aerobics class in the comfort and privacy of your home.
With the number of high-quality aerobics DVDs available for at-home use, this is not only possible but preferable for many people. And, with the Step Original Health Club Step, you will be able to work out on the same equipment used in step classes at many top health clubs and fitness centers.
Step aerobics workouts are low-impact and they can be adapted to suit most people’s fitness level. They provide numerous fitness benefits including heart-strengthening cardio and fat burning. Regular sessions will also lower your cholesterol and regulate your blood pressure levels.
What Does a Step Aerobics Workout Consist Of?
Step aerobics workouts utilize a raised step, or platform, that sits on the floor. Simply put, the exerciser steps up onto the platform with one foot, then the other foot, then back down again, one foot at a time. This movement is repeated for the duration of the workout with the movements choreographed and usually done to music.
You can work your lower body alone or, by incorporating arm movements, also exercise your upper body. For an even greater challenge, hold light dumbbells as you work out. Along with giving you a total body workout, you will burn more calories.
A 60-minute step aerobics session is said to be the equivalent of a 7-mile run. This comes as a surprise to most people, as it looks quite easy. The reality is that it is not, and you will quickly be puffing and sweating. For this reason, it’s best not to start out too hard or fast if you are new to exercise.
It’s important to warm up before and cool down after your workouts. Doing so will help you to prevent pulling a muscle. Start with mid rather than fast-paced music and hold off on using weights at first. Instead, swing your arms or raise them up and down above your head in time with the music.
The Original Club Step comes with four attachable risers. These can be attached to the platform to increase its height and therefore make your workouts more challenging.
The Original Step Specs
Dimensions – The surface of the Step Original Health Club Step measures 14″ x 40″.
Weight – Weighing 22lbs, it is light enough to move when required and heavy enough to be very stable.
User weight – The Original Step can support a weight of up to 300 pounds.
Color choices – It comes in either gray and black, or teal, black and purple,
Short Step Aerobics Butt & Thigh Workout
The Original Step Key Features & Benefits
- The platform of the Step Original Health Club Step is large enough to provide a solid footing even during quick-paced exercise routines. Its molded high-density polyethylene composition will help to absorb the impact of your steps, reducing stress on your joints during even quick-paced prolonged sessions.
- With its non-slip surface, you can exercise without having to worry about slips or falls.
- Non-marking rubber floor pads lock the Original Step securely in place, further adding to the safety factor. They also protect your floor from becoming scuffed and marked.
- The included risers allow you to adjust the height of the platform from four inches to six or eight inches. This means you will be able to match the intensity of your workout with your ability and increase the challenge as your fitness improves.
- If you require a tougher workout, there’s the option of buying a pack containing two additional risers. Your color choice for these is black or purple. To add extra height and further increase the intensity of your sessions, purchase multiple riser packs.
- The Original Step is compact enough to fit under most beds for storage.
Final Thoughts on the Original Club Step
If you’re looking for a fun way to improve your cardio fitness, tone up, increase your leg strength, boost your metabolism and lose weight, the Step Original Health Club Step could be for you.
Excellent for toning the butt, thighs, and calves, by utilizing hand weights during your step workouts, you will be able to exercise your upper body at the same time as you step. With so many different routines to choose from, you should never get bored. And you can easily make up your own combination of moves to further mix things up.
There are cheaper aerobic steps, but with the Step Original Health Club Step, you will be getting a very stable and durable fitness aid that will withstand regular use for many years.