In this article, we will look at five of the best exercise ball chairs suitable for you to use at home or in your office.
Also known as a yoga ball chair or a balance ball chair, this fitness aid consists of an exercise ball that can be used either on its own or placed inside a base ring, to become a chair. Some also have a frame and a backrest, while others are backless.
Keep reading for five exercise ball chair reviews to help you decide which will suit you.
Included will be the Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair, the Luxfit Ball Chair, the Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball Chair, the Trideer Ball Chair, and the Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair, which is what I use.
Exercise Ball Chairs Overview
Taking the place of a desk chair, along with being comfortable, when used regularly, exercise ball chairs can improve your balance, posture, core strength, and flexibility.
And the best part is that you can get these benefits while you are working on your computer or sitting and watching the television!
Remove the ball from its base or frame, and you can use it to do strengthening, toning, and muscle-sculpting exercises, or to do stretching, Pilates, and some yoga workouts.
NB: Before inflating your exercise ball, be sure to read the instructions that come with it. Exercise balls are typically inflated in stages. If you don’t do this, your ball will likely not be the right size.
NB: If you haven’t used an exercise ball chair before, start with short sessions, then gradually increase the time you sit on the ball. Doing this will help to prevent lower back pain, which some people experience if they sit on the chair for extended periods right away.
Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair (Most stylish)
The Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair is one of the best exercise ball chairs available. Stylish and ergonomically designed, the balls are comfortable. And, if you sit with good posture, they are slip-resistant, regardless of if they are on a wooden floor, tiles, or carpet.
Along with taking the place of an office or computer chair, the Vivoro Luno can be utilized during exercises such as Pilates and yoga. It can also substitute for a birthing ball. Equipped with a handle, it can be used as a medicine ball.
The balls are made of anti-burst PVC with a choice of tight-fitting removable covers which ensure that they maintain their shape. Cover options include Classic, which is felt, and Natural, which is vegan leather. There’s a choice of two fabrics in the Artisan range, these being chenille and olefin.
It is available in twelve appealing colors, mainly muted. These include African Wenge, Anthracite, Barley, Beechwood, Charcoal, and Clay. Other options are Lacewood, Marble, Pacific, Pink, Platinum Grey, and Worn Hazel.
The Classic ball has a round shape, while the others are round with a slightly flat sitting surface. All come in a standard size, which is 22″ to 24″. This will pair well with a desk that is 27″ to 30″ high. The Natural is also available in Max size, which is 25″ to 26″. The balls weigh under 3 lbs, and they can support users up to 400 pounds.
The Natural cover can be spot-cleaned, while the others are machine-washable.
Each model in the Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair has a thick carry-handle which enables it to be easily moved. For long-distance relocation, the ball can be deflated.
A hand pump and spare plugs are included with your purchase, and you will get a 6 months money-back guarantee which you can use if, for any reason, you are not happy with your purchase.
Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair Pros
- At 400 pounds, the user weight limit is higher than for many similar items
- Inflates from 22″ and up to 26″, depending on the model
- Suitable for most desks
- Can be used as a seat, a pregnancy-aid, or for exercising
- Resembles designer furniture
- Comes in various fabrics
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Machine-washable options
- Comes with a 6 months no-questions-asked money-back guarantee
Vivora Luno Self-Standing Sitting Ball Chair Cons
- The fabric of the Natural model can feel a bit rough against sensitive skin
- Some buyers complained that the ball is too low and the cover too large, but it appears that this is due to them not following the inflation instructions correctly
- This model does not have a backrest
Final Thoughts on the Vivora Luno Chair
Available in a variety of colors and fabrics, the Vivora Luno Self-Standing Ball Chair will make a stylish addition to any modern home or office. Its patented self-standing base and non-slip grip will enable you to focus on the task at hand without struggling to stay stable.
Suitable for most desks, this multi-use ball inflates easily to store. Light but incredibly robust, the Vivora Luno has a carry handle for easy transportation.
Luxfit Ball Chair (Great for people with back pain)
Made of heavy-duty anti-burst latex with a sturdy plastic base, the LuxFit Ball Chair can withstand 2,000 lbs of pressure, and it is suitable for users weighing up to 300 pounds. The combined weight of the ball and the chair is 13 lbs.
The ball inflates to between 22″ and 25″ to accommodate both shorter and taller users. The top of the chair’s back measures 29″ from the base, which measures 20″ across from wheel to wheel.
Designed by health experts, this exercise ball chair improves the users’ spinal alignment and posture as it engages the core and helps to prevent back problems. It has a comfortable backrest which offers lumbar support.
A metal ring anchors the ball into position, limiting wobbling. Two back casters in the chair’s base lock to keep the ball securely in place during use. Two larger than average 2 1/2″ front wheels facilitate smooth movement of the chair when required.
The assembly process is quick and easy. Use the included hand pump to inflate the ball, then attach the wheels. If you don’t want to move the ball and you would like extra stability, you can attach the four legs that come with the ball instead.
Luxfit Ball Chair Pros
- The Luxfit Ball Chair has a generous user weight limit of 300 pounds, which caters to most potential users.
- It inflates to between 22″ and 25″, (depending on the model you choose), to accommodate shorter and taller people
- According to the manufacturer, regular use of the ball can help to prevent back pain or alleviate it and speed up rehabilitation for users already afflicted
- The ball is thick, so you can relax knowing that it won’t suddenly deflate if a sharp object pierces it
- The Luxfit has a 2,000 lb rating
- Large wheels ensure smooth and easy movement and relocation
- The back wheels lock to prevent unwanted movement when you want to stay in place
- Remove the wheels and attach the leg extenders if you need extra height
- It’s available in a choice of black, blue, green, and purple
- It comes with a 2-year hassle-free return policy
Luxfit Ball Chair Cons
- Some shorter people complained that the ball is too low for them to use comfortably while seated at their desk
- The position of the wheels may limit where the user can place his or her feet
- A small number of people stated the ball stand and backrest were not as durable as they had anticipated
Final Thoughts on the Luxfit Ball Chair
If you’re looking for a bouncy exercise ball chair that will require you to sit with good posture to keep it stable, look no further than the Luxfit Ball Chair. With its generous user weight limit, tough but tactile fabric, and supportive backrest, you will be happy to sit on the chair for hours.
A top pick for anyone who suffers from back pain or wants to prevent it, it is easy to inflate, and its wheels facilitate moving it. If you don’t plan to move the ball, you can attach the legs instead of the wheels, or switch between the two as desired.
Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball Chair (Exceptional stability)
If stable and highly customizable exercise ball chairs are your preference, you will love the options the Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball Chair offers.
Catering to people from short to tall, the ball can support a weight of up to 300 pounds. The chair has four leg height positions, and four back support positions ranging from a 6″ set back to a 9 inch set back. (The recently upgraded backrest is stronger than that of the original model.)
The ball weighs 3 lbs on its own, and 16 lbs including its frame.
It is made of durable non-latex burst-resistant material, and it comes in ten attractive colors. These include Silver, Black, White, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Red, Purple, Green, and Blue with a black beaded polypropylene foam rubber back support.
The chair’s metal frame comes in two finishes, including silver flakes on black, and solid black. Five black wheels provide stability, and being larger than average at 2.5″ each, these make for easy movement and maneuverability.
Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball Pros
- The Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball is height adjustable to suit people from under 5′ tall to well over 6′ weighing up to 300 pounds
- Its backrest adjusts fore and aft to suit the user’s height and comfort
- Remove the ball, and you can use it to exercise
- A robust anti-burst composition means the ball will gently deflate if it is punctured
- The chairs metal frame is strong and durable
- Five caster wheels ensure stability
- The wheels are larger than average to facilitate moving on almost any surface
- The manufacturer listens to customer feedback and has upgraded the ball to eliminate features that received less than positive comments
- Comes in a wide range of colors, so there’s sure to be one to complement your room
Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball Cons
- If you don’t inflate the ball correctly, it could slip through the frame
- A small percentage of buyers stated said that their ball deflated quickly
- A few shorter people who left feedback stated that their feet barely touch the ground when sitting on the ball
Final Thoughts on the Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball
The Isokinetics Inc. Brand Adjustable Fitness Ball will be a reliable choice if you want a balance ball chair with above average adjustment options, or if you want to share it with others in your home or office.
It is robust and stable, easy to relocate, and it comes in a variety of colors and two different frame options, so matching it to existing furniture is easy.
Trideer Ball Chair (Cheapest)
The Trideer Ball Chair is among the most budget-friendly exercise ball chairs on the market.
Comprising an exercise ball and an inflatable stability ring, these are made of hypoallergenic eco-friendly super-thick anti-burst material. Able to support a weight of up to 2,000 lbs, it is exceptionally resilient.
The ball can be used alone for exercise, or placed inside the ring and used as a seat. There’s also the option of buying fitness bands to use with the ball and/or chair.
It is available in two sizes, including 65cm for customers between 5′ 3″ and 5′ 10″, and 75cm for customers between 5′ 11″ and 6′ 4″ tall. Taller and shorter buyers claim to have used the chair without a problem.
It weighs 5.51 lbs, and it comes in a choice of seven colors, all of which have a matching ring. The colors include Black, Dark Blue, Lime Green, Mint Green, Red, Silver, and Aqua.
Unlike most exercise ball chairs, this one comes with a foot pump, rather than a hand pump. This makes the ball extremely easy to inflate. Simply insert the tip of the pump into the balls’ valve, and push your foot up and down on the pump and it will inflate in no time.
One of the most inexpensive options for a fitness aid of its type, the Trideer Ball Chair has overwhelmingly positive buyer feedback.
Trideer Ball Chair Pros
- The Trideer Ball Chair suits people from 5′ 3″ up to 6’4″, with taller and shorter people leaving positive reviews
- It can be used for exercise, as a chair, or as a birthing ball
- It’s affordable
- The ball is strong, durable, and non-toxic
- Its matte anti-slip finish keeps it in place whether you are sitting or exercising on it
- Coming with an inflatable ring, both pieces are very easy to move or transport
- It is available in seven appealing colors
- The included foot pump makes for faster inflation
- When you purchase, you will get a 12-month warranty and a 30-day hassle-free return policy
Trideer Ball Chair Cons
- A few buyers have reported that while they like the ball, they are not happy with the ring
- A handful of purchasers stated that the ball is either too short or too tall for their desk, so be sure to check the inflated height before buying
- Some buyers were disappointed that the ball was smaller than they’d expected
Final Thoughts on the Trideer Ball Chair
If you want to try a balance ball chair and you don’t want to spend a lot of money in case you don’t like using it, the Trideer Ball Chair is worth considering. Suitable for exercising, while working on your computer, or sitting and watching the TV, it also makes an ideal birthing ball.
Durable and eco-friendly with a non-slip finish, the ball and ring are easy to inflate. The ball comes in a range of cool colors, and two different sizes.
Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair (Latex-free)
I’ve had a Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair for a few years now, and I love it.
Created by fitness experts in collaboration with a chiropractor, the ball can prevent or ease back pain caused by sitting for extended periods.
Measuring 22″ x 22″ x 31″, it weighs 13 lbs, and it suits users between 5′ and 5’11” tall weighing up to 300 pounds.
The ball has a hypoallergenic, eco-friendly burst-resistant composition. Its base comprises molded PVC. A metal holder secures the ball in position, and there’s a rear support bar.
Lightweight with four caster wheels, the chair is easy to move. The back two wheels are lockable to prevent unwanted movement.
The chair can be used with most standard-height desks, and leg extenders are available if you need a higher chair. The extenders will add 2″ to the chair’s height.
An exercise guide is included.
The ball and chair come in nine different colors. These include Black, Blue, Ocean (blue/green), Cool Gray, Forest Green, Bright Green, Fuchsia, Purple, and Wasabi (lime green).
Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair Pros
- An adjustable ergonomic back support promotes correct spinal alignment
- 4 removable caster wheels let you move the chair easily
- Lockable back wheels provide extra stability
- The ball’s anti-burst composition ensures durability
- Latex-free, the ball is suitable for people with a latex allergy, and those worried about the possible harmful effects of long-term latex exposure
- Suitable for people from 5′ tall to 5′ 11″, shorter and taller people have left positive feedback
- It has a generous user weight limit of 300 pounds
- There’s the option of attaching leg extenders if the seat is too low
- Great color range
- Comes with a workout guide
Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair Cons
- Some buyers said that the ball they received was smaller than they had expected
- There is no warranty, but the manufacturer will replace any balls that are defective
- A couple of purchasers who left feedback said that the backrest doesn’t offer enough support
Final Thoughts on the Gaiam Balance Ball Chair
The Gaiam Balance Ball Chair is a great all-rounder from a reliable brand. I’ve had no issues with mine, so have no hesitation in recommending it.
It eased the backache I’d been experiencing from spending long days on my computer, and I find it very comfortable, even when I use it for extended periods.
The chair is easy to inflate, and quick to move when required. When I first got mine, I appreciated being able to lock the back wheels until I got used to balancing on it. I also like that it is latex-free.
Remove the ball from the frame, and you can do the exercises outlined in the included guide.
Best Exercise Ball Chairs Summary
Exercise ball chairs promote “active sitting” due to the constant small adjustments that the body must make to remain upright on the ball.
They can help to improve your posture, core strength, balance, and flexibility, without you having to leave your desk.
Remove the ball from the holder, and you can use it to do toning exercises.
To find out more about the benefits of yoga ball chairs, click this link.