Turbo Jam is a high energy 8-week fitness program that will enable you to improve your muscle tone, increase your cardiovascular health, burn fat and shed inches quickly and safely. It offers something for everyone from the beginner to the advanced level exerciser.
The program was created and produced by two of the biggest names in the fitness industry, Chalene Johnson, and BeachBody. Also known as Turbo Jam: Calorie-Blasting Cardio, Kickboxing, Body-Sculpting Workout DVD Program, it features a mixture of cardio, body sculpting, kickboxing and dance moves set to cool, upbeat music.
Read on to find out who Turbo Jam best suits and the Turbo Jam results you can expect. We will also look at the kit inclusions, the Turbo Jam schedule and more.
* Anyone suffering joint pain should stick with the modified version of the workout, or choose a program that is more gentle, such as the Chalene Johnson PiYo DVD, which I review here
** Please not that Turbo Jam is not currently available on Amazon. Click this link to read reviews of alternative fitness programs
Who Will Turbo Jam Suit?
Turbo Jam will suit anyone who is looking for a fast-paced dance-orientated workout that will quickly improve their fitness and muscle tone.
Many people who have left reviews for Turbo Jam have been thrilled at how quickly they’ve lost weight on the program. An independent university study showed very impressive Turbo Jam results, with participants burning up to 1,000 calories per hour. These were not isolated cases, either. This makes the program particularly suited to people carrying excess weight, who would like to shed it rapidly.
* Not everyone who undertakes the program will burn 1,000 calories per hour. Your results will vary depending on the workouts you do, how much you put into them and how much weight you have to lose. Working at a moderate to brisk pace, most people can expect to burn at least 400 to 700 calories each hour they work out.
How difficult are the Turbo Jam workouts?
Turbo Jam is customizable to every fitness level.
If you haven’t exercised before and you don’t have the energy or fitness to do a lot of jumping around, copy the two cast members who demonstrate modified versions of the exercises. You should also follow the moderators’ moves if you have joint issues. Doing so will enable you to do the workouts without your feet leaving the ground.
Most intermediate to advanced level exercisers will find Turbo Jam to be challenging enough to get a good sweat going. The more intensity you put in, the greater your gains will be regarding fitness and fat loss. Put more effort into your moves, and your heart rate will stay elevated throughout, resulting in a higher calorie burn. Punch more powerfully, kick higher, twist your body further during the ab exercises and put more into your shimmies and your results will come faster.
How much room will I need to do the workouts?
Because you will be doing lunges, kicks, and punches, among other things, you will need some room to move. For a comfortable workout, taller people will need more free space than shorter people.
A workout area of around 6 to 8 feet will be sufficient, and you can get away with less. Some purchasers claim to work comfortably in an area of around 5 feet by 5 feet.
Will I need to buy anything extra?
Everything you need for the fitness component of Turbo Jam is included. There’s even a measuring tape for tracking your progress.
Most of the exercises use body weight as resistance. The intensity of some is increased using the included Turbo Sculpting Gloves.
If you plan on following one of the diets (keep reading for details), you will need to buy the recommended foods if you don’t already have these.
Turbo Jam Results
Turbo Jam Schedule
Before undertaking any fitness program, it’s important to find out its schedule. Not everyone has time to work out every day, or even 6 days a week. The good news is, with Turbo Jam you won’t have to.
The 8-week Turbo Jam program comprises two segments. The first 4 weeks is suitable for beginners. This is followed by 4 weeks during which the intensity picks up.
There is no Turbo Jam schedule as such, but there is a workout calendar that contains recommendations. Each workout in the program is between 20 and 50 minutes long. For the best result, mix them up. Do more than one workout if you can and aim for five sessions a week.
What’s in the Kit?
The workouts are as follows:
• Turbo Jam Learn & Burn – In this 30-minute workout you will begin burning fat and shedding inches, as you learn Chalene’s signature “Elite 11” moves.
• Turbo Jam 20 Minute Workout – As its title suggests, the Turbo Jam 20 Minute Workout is 20 minutes long. Suitable for beginners and anyone who is short on time, it exercises the entire body.
The pace starts out slowly and picks up as the workout progresses. The moves are explained and demonstrated well, so you should have no trouble getting the hang of them.
• Turbo Jam Turbo Sculpt – A 40-minute long workout, Turbo Jam Turbo Sculpt focuses on our typical problem areas, whittling them into shape and sculpting long lean muscles.
• Turbo Jam Cardio Party – Turbo Jam Cardio Party is a fun 45-minute workout that really packs a punch, in a good way. This segment will work your entire body and burn lots of calories. Starting with gentle stretches, the pace soon picks up. It will see you dancing, punching, kicking, doing standing ab movements and more. When you feel you can’t do another step, the pace slows, and a different muscle group is targeted.
The key to getting the most benefit from Turbo Jam Cardio Party is to keep moving.
• Turbo Jam Ab Jam – Targeting every muscle in your core and abdominal region, the 20-minute Turbo Jam Ab Jam workout involves lots of standing ab work. Reasonably easy in comparison to the ab workouts in some other fitness programs, it nevertheless brings great results.
Once you become accustomed to doing the workouts, if you like, you can choose the “Pump Up” option. Doing so will allow you to hear the music, minus Chalene’s instructions.
The DVD concludes with footage containing success stories, cast bios, glimpses into Chalene’s life and amusing outtakes.
Handy Tools That Come with the Kit
In addition to the workout DVDs, the Turbo Jam kit provides some handy tools, as follows:
Along with lots of useful information and helpful tips related to the program, the Turbo Results Step-by-Step Guidebook contains an overview of the cast members. There’s also a brief bio of Chalene and a rundown of what she considers to be the most important factors when it comes to getting into shape.
The 10-Day Kick Start is a handy guide that will help you to get started with the program. It contains 10 days worth of meal suggestions – 3 meals, and 2 snacks a day – along with recipes for making them, plus workout recommendations for each day.
Also included is the Turbo Jam Eating Plan, which contains a range of delicious recipes suitable for every meal of the day. The plan also provides recommendations on what to eat when you are dining out and graphic flash cards with descriptions of the Elite 11 moves. These are a handy and portable reference that you can take with you if you are going away and want to be able to get in some exercise.
A cloth measuring tape enables you to track your progress in terms of inches lost. There’s also a note card for recording this information.
Turbo Jam Bonus
Along with everything listed above, you will get 4 useful bonuses to help optimize your workouts for better results.
• Turbo Sculpting Gloves – Padded and containing weights, when worn during workouts the Turbo Sculpting Gloves have been scientifically proven to engage muscle activity by as much as 96%, so you will tone up a whole lot faster.
• Punch, Kick & Jam – A 50-minute advanced level workout with exercises that will enable you to make the most of the Turbo Sculpting Gloves.
• 6-Day SlimDown plan – An easy to follow weight loss plan that can help you lose up to 3 inches from your waistline in under a week.
• Turbo Slim® Rapid Results Program – Use this simple to follow meal plan and measurement tool to lose up to 10 inches during the first ten workouts.
• Online Support – Known for their fantastic customer support, as with all of the BeachBody programs, online support for Turbo Jam is readily available. This includes live chat, email, and 24-hour phone access. There’s also an on-site database containing FAQs.
Turbo Jam Purchaser Feedback
The vast majority of reviewers agree that Turbo Jam is enjoyable to do and it works extremely well. Many purchasers have lost weight and inches and improved their muscle tone since undertaking the program. A number of people commented on the speed with which they saw results.
Positive comments have been left regarding Chalene’s likable manner and encouraging positivity, which they say makes the workouts more enjoyable.
The program is not without criticism. The bulk of this is from people who received kits that didn’t contain everything advertised. Unfortunately, this can happen from time to time with any product. If you do receive an incomplete kit, contact customer service who will promptly resolve the issue.
A small percentage of people had trouble learning the moves. Some also found the pace too fast, but all agreed that the workout is very effective. A few purchasers found the exercises to be too hard on their back. Presumably, these people were following along with Chalene, not one of the modifiers.
Turbo Jam Summary
If you’re shopping for a high-intensity cardio program that will enable you to burn a lot of calories and lose weight and inches quickly and safely, Turbo Jam fits the bill.
Coming with a range of helpful extras including diet manuals, easy-reference flash cards and weighted gloves to intensify your sessions, if you enjoy fast-paced workouts with plenty of variety, you should be very happy with this program.