If you’re wondering how to get rid of armpit fat, you’re not alone. Body fat in the underarm area – sometimes referred to as armpit fat – is something many women struggle to eradicate. It can be one of the last areas to lose fat when dieting, and it sometimes plagues even the slimmest of women.
Known is medical circles as the anterior axillary roll, while not dangerous, armpit fat is unsightly.
Some women are so self-conscious about their fatty armpits that it restricts the style of clothing they wear. Some even resort to the drastic measure of having liposuction or undergoing cosmetic surgery to get rid of armpit fat. The good news is that for most of us it is possible to reduce armpit fat, if not eliminate it, using far simpler means.
Keep reading to find out how to get rid of armpit fat, the roles diet and cardio workouts play, and more. We will also look at some of the best armpit fat exercises that bring quick results.
How to Get Rid of Armpit Fat
If you are a woman, the first thing you should do in your quest to get rid of armpit fat is to determine if you’re wearing the right size bra. Ill-fitting bras can cause breast tissue to spill out over the sides, giving the appearance of armpit fat. This can also happen if your bra straps are pulled too short.
If you’re not sure what size bra you need, visit a store with a lingerie department and arrange a fitting. There is no charge for this service, and you will be amazed at the difference a well-fitting bra makes.
Bad posture can also give the impression of armpit fat. Stand up straight with your shoulders back, down, and relaxed, wearing a sleeveless top. Look in the mirror to see if it makes a difference.
If you’re already wearing the correct size bra and your posture is good, you will need to do some work.
But before we go any further, be aware that when we burn fat, we burn it all over. In other words, you cannot target your unwanted armpit fat; or any other body area containing excess fat. You will need to develop a plan that enables you to systematically burn your excess body fat until you achieve your desired results.
In a nutshell, getting rid of armpit fat requires a holistic approach that includes proper nutritional intake and regular exercise. We will look at both of these below.
Getting Rid of Armpit Fat and Diet
In 2012, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention declared that obesity had reached epidemic proportions. The work of the CDC and other organizations to educate the American public has led to increased efforts to reduce our excess body fat.
To consistently reduce your body fat, you will need to control your calorie intake, placing your body in caloric deficit – meaning that you are burning more calories than you are eating. With 3,500 calories equivalent to one pound, if you reduce your daily calorie intake by 500, you can lose one pound a week without exercising.
It’s wise to consult your doctor or a licensed nutritionist to determine the proper and safe parameters for your nutritional intake. Under normal circumstances, most people can safely reduce their weight by 2-3 pounds per week.
With the right balance of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, you will be able to lower your body fat, but what exactly is the right balance? According to the Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics, we should be getting between 55 and 60 percent of our calories from carbohydrates, 25 to 30 percent from protein, and 15 to 20 percent from fats. Your food choices in these categories are equally as important as the percentages.
Firstly, you should avoid eating highly processed and sugar-laden foods. Your carb source should come from fruit and vegetables, with your protein sources being lean meats such as fish, skinless chicken, or legumes. Fats are good, providing they’re unsaturated. Eat this way, and you will lose body fat all over, including from your armpits.
If you want to follow a diet plan, there are numerous ones you can try. Most will work if you stick to them but steer clear of fad diets. Low-carb diets and high-fat plans such as the Ketogenic diet are very popular right now. While both go against what some experts recommend, many people have had success with them.
Both diets encourage the body to burn fat as its primary fuel source. It is important to note that while high-fat diets like the Ketogenic diet are effective fat-burners, at 9 calories per gram fat has more calories than protein and carbs which both have 4 calories per gram. This means that if you want to lose weight, you can’t eat as much fat as carbs and protein.
How Cardiovascular Exercise Helps to Reduce Armpit Fat
As mentioned previously, it is not possible to spot-reduce fat. This being the case, to reduce armpit fat, you will have to decrease your total body fat percentage. The best way to do this is through a combination of diet and exercise.
For health and weight loss, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends doing either five hours of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or two and a half hours of vigorous exercise per week.
The aerobic activity you choose isn’t as significant as the way you do it. For the best fat burning result, vary the speed and intensity of your workouts and mix them up. Activities to try include treadmill walking and running, spinning on a stationary bike, rowing, elliptical training, and stair climbing. These are just five of many options. Choose a form of exercise you enjoy, and do it regularly.
Armpit Fat Exercises That Get Quick Results
Next, we will look at some armpit fat exercises that get quick results.
If you don’t have any equipment, Push-Ups and Lateral Plank Walks are two of the best exercises you can do to reduce armpit fat. Three of my favorite armpit fat exercises done with hand weights are Dumbbell Presses, Incline Dumbbell Flyes, and Bent-Over Reverse Flyes. You will find instructions for all of the exercises further down on this page.
The dumbbell you use will depend on your strength and current fitness. Choose a weight that challenges you but is not heavy enough to negatively impact your form.
By training your shoulders, chest, and back, you will help to fill in and shape the problematic area. Also, adding muscle naturally increases your body’s metabolism helping further to burn fat which will ultimately enable you to get rid of armpit fat.
To ensure that your exercise routine is both effective and time-efficient, exercise three times a week on non-consecutive days.
More great armpit fat exercises
- Start from a plank position with your arms extended below your upper body and your palms flat on the floor underneath your shoulders. Your legs should be extended behind you. (If this is too difficult, perform the exercise on bent knees.)
- Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body, stopping when your chest is three or four inches above floor height.
- Slowly straighten your arms to return to your starting position. Start with two sets of 10 repetitions, progressing to three sets of 15 to 20 reps when you become stronger.
LATERAL PLANK WALKS
- Start from a plank position with your hands on the floor beneath your shoulders and your body held in a straight line, making sure to keep your abs contracted throughout and your pelvis level.
- Lift your right hand off the floor, crossing it over your left hand and stepping your left leg to the left about six to twelve inches.
- Next, move your left hand and right foot to the left so that your body is back in its starting position. Repeat these movements twice.
- Reverse direction, stepping to the right three times. This counts as one repetition. Complete two sets of 8 reps, working up to three sets of 12 reps.
- Lie on your back on a weight bench holding a dumbbell in each of your hands which should be beside you on either side of your chest. (Your upper body should be supported by the bench, your knees bent and your feet resting flat on the floor.)
- Lift the dumbbells then slowly bend your elbows downward and outwards, stopping when your hands are just below the bench.
- Lift your arms straight up keeping your palms facing away from you.
- Bend your elbows and return to your starting position. Do one or two sets of 10 reps, working up to three sets of 15.
INCLINE DUMBBELL FLYES
- Lie on an incline bench holding a dumbbell in either hand.
- Slowly reach your arms out to the sides, keeping your elbows slightly bent. Lift your arms upwards, bringing the dumbbells towards each other so that your arms are forming the letter O.
- Allow your arms to slowly lower to your starting position. Complete two sets of 8 reps, working up to three sets of 12 reps.
BENT-OVER REVERSE FLYES
- Stand with your knees slightly bent holding a dumbbell in either hand, your palms facing towards the front.
- Bend forward at the hips keeping your back flat.
- Lift your arms out to the sides keeping a slight bend in your elbows, then squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Using controlled movement, lower the dumbbells, allowing them to meet in the center. This is classed as one rep. Do one or two sets containing 10 reps, working up to three sets of 15.
Regular use of an Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar also helps trim and tone fat armpits. (Click the previous link to read a review.)
Final Words on How to Get Rid of Armpit Fat
As with any diet or exercise plan, the key to getting rid of armpit fat is consistency. Follow the tips above, and you will quickly notice a big difference in the appearance of your arms and feel comfortable wearing sleeveless tops.
Click the link below for more exercises that will help you to get rid of armpit fat and tone your entire arm.